Fullerton Arboretum

Today I went to the Fullerton Arboretum. It was about 30 minutes away, so I'm not likely to frequent it, but it was a very nice wooded area and garden. There is a historic house of some type there that I planned to draw, but I was so taken by the diverse collection of trees that I decided to go out into the wooded area instead.
This drawing took a long time. I had to label the trees in the drawing to keep from getting confused about where the gaps were and where the trunks were. I put numbers on the frontmost trunks, and letters on the next layer back to try to keep them straight.
I am taking a Craftsy class on Travel Sketching, and in one of the lessons, Marc Taro Holmes paints without drawing a sketch by first painting the negative space. I thought to take this technique, but the tree was so complicated I decided to draw it as well. I first painted the gaps between the branches that I did draw.
And then between the four frontmost trunks.

And then I painting the four in.

I took this photo in the morning, when there were a few more shadows than when I got around to painting.
Thanks for looking!

Comments

  1. Really wonderful work! I really want to paint trees but had the same problem getting lost while in the zone. Thanks for sharing your and the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing your art and the tip should say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment