Patterned Farmlands

 I think this is my favorite of this series of landscapes, which I made at the end of 2019.

Most of my projects begin with a palette.  I like the iPhone app iPalette, that lets you choose colors out of a photograph. This one started with a photograph I took at the Sherman Library and Gardens in Corona del Mar.

I used a gel plate to (somewhat) quickly create a set of papers with about 3 or four sheets of each colors. This paper is Southworth 32 lb cotton resume paper, which I got at an office supply store.

I decided to texture this paper using texture plates made from found objects. 

I applied the textures to the colored paper, using the same set of colors, to make a too large collection of collage papers.
I used these for a set of landscapes. 

I figured out that even though the colors of the buildings contrast with the hills, the size of the buildings and trees were too close to the size of the texture marks on the hills. I tried to correct this in the last two of this sequence, one at the top of this post and an ATC to trade with a friend.
There was still a lot of paper left (there still is, actually), and I used some of it to doodle.



And make a few self portraits.

Thanks for looking!

Comments