My Tree Overfloweth

Completed collage: My Tree Runneth Over
My Tree Overfloweth - Florence Turnour 2020

This project started with a palette of collage paper.  I chose a palette of colors, then I painted thin lightly waxed Sandwich Paper (deli paper) using these colors, using a gel plate and some of the stencils I designed.

I created a large tree stencil, painted a black rectangle on watercolor paper, and sponged the tree onto the background.

Then I started designing animals. I drew the animals in pencil, and used the photocopier to resize them until they fit nicely on the tree.

I cut the drawings out, and traced the shapes onto my collage paper. For the small details like eyes and ears, I assembled the shapes before cutting them out.
Here they are.


I worked on this one type of animal at a time over months, between working on other things, and not having time to do any artwork. I posted the individual animals on Instagram as I went. I made a few animals that didn't go on the final tree.
These rhinoceroses were too busy, and ended up in a stack.

My mother is making a baby quilt using these animal shapes for the border. She asked for flamingos and an elephant, even though I didn't plan to put them in my tree. I decided they should also be in a stack.

Here are some of the quilt squares from my mom's project.

After the tree was full of animals, the birds came.
They landed on everyone.

And now it's done.  Thanks for looking!

I only update this blog sporadically. Please follow me on instagram to see more of my work.




Comments

  1. Delightful! Thank you for the look into your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be also a wonderful quilt. So amazing colors and shapes. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment