Koi Part 2

In the workshop Creative Jumpstart that I am doing, yesterday's lesson involved acrylic spray paint.  Michelle Ward demonstrated spray painting through stencils using layers and masks.  I tried it with spray ink, which was fun, too, but it was much more interesting to work with the opaque spray paints.  I wanted to do it outside, so I had to wait for a break in the rain. It came this afternoon, and I took over the garage floor.

I spent some of the rainy days cutting new pattern stencils on my Sihlouette Cutter. I draw them in Adobe Illustrator and then use a plugin to cut them. The pattern in the images above is my favorite. 
I also painted my hands, just a bit.  About the colors, Michaels had an odd selection of their paints on sale. I bought 7 colors, but they were not the ones I'd have chosen if I had not been trying to be frugal. For example, here's a series in lemon and tomato.


Here's a close-up of the first picture above.
I used a mandala mask to make the white pattern in the close-up above, and then I turned the paint-covered mask over onto the picture to make the orange pattern. I did like the mandala mask shape. I think I will cut some more detailed masks like that, for my collection.
I think I'm going to get some more colors and watch the video a few more times.
Thanks Michelle Ward for such a great lesson.  Thanks for looking!

Comments

  1. Love your spray painting projects- wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florence, these are utterly fabulous! I love each variation but especially the red and yellow - all the layers really got my attention. Thanks so much for sharing your interpretation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layering. How wonderful pages

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I've been planning to make a skirt for my daughter with stamped koi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment