Christmas in July

While I am always looking for new things to make with my stamps and dies, I thought the JustRite Friday Challenge, "Christmas in July," provides me with a good excuse to revisit the designs which attracted me to JustRite and Spellbinders in the first place. The fussy and ornate layered and bordered designs appeal to me for their detail and symmetry.
This design follows Beate John's tutorial for making a telescoping card. When I first dove into paper crafting, that video inspired me to make my whimsical Tea Caddy card, which also has that layered fussy look, though it's subject matter is a bit less traditional.

This card includes eight circular layers of card stock arranged in three telescoping stacks. I enjoyed coloring directly on the tree stamp from the JustRite Original set, From Our House, and on a border from the (retired) My Grandmother's Doilies sets, and stamping them on glossy card stock. I stamped the santa from the JustRite Original Vintage Christmas 3 set with brown ink on glossy cardstock, and colored him with stamping ink, using my stippling brushes, and some colored pencil to deepen the red.
I embossed a sentiment from JustRite Original set, Old Friends. I sponged the layers liberally in reds, greens and gold. After assembling the card, I added a ribbon to make the finished card into an ornament.
Golly, that's a lot of layers. Here's my gallery image showing both the folded and the unfolded card.
Wishing You Happiness, Telescoping Christmas Card
Just for fun, I submitted this card in Flourishes Timeless Tuesday Christmas in July challenge, as well. Thanks for looking!

Comments

  1. Beautiful card/ornament. Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You always have such clever ideas! Thanks for joining us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique & FUN -- never saw this idea before, but it's intriguing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Florence!!! I saw that this project was chosen for an Honorable Mention on the JustRite Blog for the JustRite Challenge #078.

    You did an an amazing job and you deserve that Honorable Mention and more. The project is stunning. Congrats again!!!

    Glenda
    www.GlendasCreativePlace.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment